Istanbul Technical University
With over 240 years of prominent history, a contemporary education environment and distinguished academic staff, Istanbul Technical University (ITU) is renowned in Turkey with its engineering and architecture education.
ITU was established in 1773, during the time of the Ottoman Sultan Mustafa III. under its original name “Muhendishane-i Bahr-i Humayun”. Since then, ITU has undertaken the leadership in the Ottoman Empire reformation movements and had invaluable influence on the reconstruction, modernization and administration of our nation during the Republican Period of Turkey. Engineers and architects graduated from ITU had devoted tremendous effort on building the infrastructure in the cities and villages of Turkey via bridges, factories, buildings, power plants, telecommunication networks. Today, ITU has its signature under numerous first and unique projects of Turkey. First cube satellite, first electrical minibus, first hydrogen propelled boat, first unmanned automobile, first national computer, first television broadcast are realized by ITU and first university radio is established by ITU.
ITU is a worldwide known benchmark for engineering and architecture education with its esteemed historical background, modern education and prominent academic body. In Turkey, only ITU graduates have the eligibility to take the “Fundamentals of Engineering” and “Professional of Engineering” exams which have global recognition and are American-based. ITU is not only distinguished by its technical education but also consolidated its academic existence by its undergraduate and postgraduate education in art and economics.
ITU is a state university that defines the professions of engineering and architecture in Turkey by providing a modern education environment while possessing its conventional structure. ITU educates pioneers in engineering and architecture not only well-known at national but also at international scale with their strong international ties.
Today, ITU has more than 25000 students that study in one of 5 campuses, Taskisla, Gumussuyu, Macka, Tuzla, and Ayazaga, located throughout Istanbul.
ITU by some figures;
- Thirteen faculties and six graduate institutes
- Education in 40 undergraduate degree programs
- Over 145 Master's and Ph.D degree programs
- Four campuses located at city centers
- Over 25000 full-time students
- 2200 instructors
- 430 professors
- Active student participation in research projects
- International accreditation in all of undergrad eng. Programs (ABET, EUA, NAAB, NCEES, CEA, EMSA, and etc.)
- Education in full English language
- Double major, double minor and exchange opportunities
- More than 360 research laboratories with 4000 state-of-the- art equipments on campus available for reserve-and-use
- 3 TECHNOPARKs where universities, research institutions and industrial organizations collaborate to execute R&D activities and to innovate
Follow us @EWGT2016 at Twitter to get prompt updates!